29 Mar Back Seized Up? Move It!
Back Spasm – Natural (but wrong) Reactions
- Take the fastest route to Accident & Emergency.
- Wait there for some hours to be told, “take Ibuprofen and take it easy for a few days”
- Lay down for a few days until it all feels better
Back Spasm – The Smart Reaction
- Reduce the inflammation by applying ice and taking ibuprofen
- KEEP MOVING!
Many of these aches and pains are caused by muscular weakness and imbalances. Bad postural habits will contribute greatly (for more advice see Posture, the key to remaining pain free ) If we continue to ignore and fail to address these areas the result may be “my back has seized up or locked” “I cannot move and am in excruciating pain”
Physiotherapists, Osteopaths and Consultants often recommend Pilates exercises to both relieve and prevent muscular tension, aches and pains. Remember, always to consult your health professional to find out the cause of back pain and before starting any exercise regime. However, note, lower back pain is not caused by drafts, chills or the weather!
Tip: Avoid sitting for long periods of time.
5 Pilates Exercises to Unlock a Seized Back
(all of these exercises are covered on our Pilates4Life Beginner’s Course)
- Practice the Pilates movements listed below.
- Attempt them in the order given.
- When you can perform each one comfortably, move on to the next one
- Pelvic Tilt: 5 repetitions
- Shoulder Bridge: 3 – 5 reps
- Cat Stretch: 3 – 5 reps
- Knee Sways: 3 – 5 each side
- Roll Down: (perhaps start against a wall and then free standing)
Initially you may struggle to get past number 1 – don’t worry and don’t give up! Try it several more times and repeating it as many times as you can during the day. You may find eventually it will get easier and the “discomfort” will decrease with each attempt. NEVER work through acute, sharp pain. However, sometimes we need to think carefully about what is “work” and what is “pain”.
Keep Me Posted
If you have enjoyed reading this article, then why not sign up to receive new articles as they are released?Just let us know which subjects you are interested in, and we'll send you the details hot from the press.